Monday 1 September 2014

Research into 'Literal' Music Videos

As a start of the A2 course, our teacher decided it would be an interesting and knowledgeable experience to take a look at something called 'literal' music videos. These are when someone takes an odd music video and replaces the lyrics with funny puns or simply a description of what the video entails. A good example is a 'literal' video of James Blunt's You're Beautiful as seen here:



These videos appeal to a wide audience as they pick very popular songs at the time with a simple melody which makes it easy for the editor to pick funny lyrics as the tune is so basic. At the time this was made (2008) almost EVERYBODY in the world had heard the song You're Beautiful as it had such a catchy tune so making a spoof out of it couldn't come too soon. Also, as most people find James Blunt's voice highly annoying, putting on a weird voice whilst singing the new lyrics would make the concept even funnier. Also, the video doesn't do itself any favours and it seems like it would be pretty easy to mock the video as you can see in the aforementioned video.

Another example of a literal video is a cover of A Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler and gives off the typical 80s vibe and style of music video with weird dancers and an over-used smoke machine. Here is the video: 


As you can see, all of these literal videos include the lyrics in order to appeal to a wider audience as some of the parts are difficult to understand. With all of these videos, they have both achieved a very high viewing total because they are very well known songs with crazy videos. After watching a few of these videos, I decided to have a go at my own version, all though I do not possess the skills or technology YET to make it into a proper video.

I decided to pick the song Stay Another Day by East 17. Here is the video:


As you can see, this is a very ridiculous song and video which I believed would be easy to put funny lyrics to. However, it is a lot more difficult than it looks but nonetheless, here are my lyrics. You can put the song on and sing them yourself if you want:

Baby if you've got to go away                                            Baby if you’ve got to go away
Don't think I can take the pain                                            Let us at least play charades
 Won't you stay another day                                              With Lady Gaga in a craze                            
 Oh, don't leave me alone like this                                       Oh, look at this falling glass
 Don't you say it's the final kiss                         I didn’t know our voices were bad                                           Oh, won't you stay another day                                    This band is never going to last!                                                             

Don't you know we've come too far now              Don’t you know it’s not even cold here
 Just to go and try to throw it all away                    Filming this video in this studio
 Thought I heard you say you love me          That’s why we’re now dressed like we’re from the ghetto
 That your love was gonna be here to stay            Or a retarded version of the Matrix.
 I've only just begun to know you                             And now I’m floating through the skyline
 All I can say is won't you stay just one more day               With my friend who’s only used for harmonies.
GAGA GAGA
Baby if you've got to go away                                    Baby you should try life here in space
 Don't think I can take the pain                                  With all the aliens it’s really great                
 Won't you stay another day                           We’ve become really good mates!
 Oh, don't leave me alone like this                 Sometimes you lose your body,
 Don't you say it's the final kiss                                  And become a bit like Noddy,            
 Oh, won't you stay another day                                 But Lady Gaga still is here!

I touch your face while you are sleeping                                I touch your face when you are sleeping              
 And hold your hand, don't understand what's going on It really creeps you out but I keep doing it.
 Good times we had return to haunt me                               oh my God who did that haircut?
 Though it's for you all that I do seem to be wrong            I’m not with you, you belong in a zoo, now your hair’s all gone.

Baby if you've got to go away                                    Now it’s a pan across our face,
 Don't think I can take the pain                                  Dressed as Eskimos once again,
 Won't you stay another day                           But more bored at a slower pace.
 Oh, don't leave me alone like this                 Why did we buy this roundabout?
 Don't you say it's the final kiss                                  I’m feeling sick and full of doubt.
 Oh, won't you stay another day                                 I should smile but instead I’ll pout.

Baby if you've got to go away                                    Baby if I’ve got to float away,
 Don't think I can take the pain                                  At least just let me say
 Won't you stay another day                           Lady Gaga is my fave.
 Oh, don't leave me alone like this                             Oh don’t leave me alone with her,                      
 Don't you say it's the final kiss                                She keeps asking me to play Poker.
 Oh, won't you stay another day                                 FACE YEEAAAHHHHH                           

Baby if you've got to go away                                    Why do people think it’s a Christmas Song,
 Don't think I can take the pain                                  Only because we were number one,
 Won't you stay another day                           At around Christmas time!
 Oh, don't leave me alone like this                 That’s the reason for the bells and snow,
 Don't you say it's the final kiss                                  My therapist tells me to say no,

 Oh, won't you stay another day                                 To angry thoughts so I’ll just hum.

No comments:

Post a Comment